Annual Meeting & Election Process
2017 Board of Directors and Officials Election Process
New Horizons Credit Union, in accordance with the procedures stipulated in the Credit Union’s bylaws, is overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee, who are elected by our membership and announced at the Credit Union’s Annual Meeting.
In accordance with the Credit Union's bylaws, the Chairman of the Board will “appoint a Nominating Committee of not fewer than three members.” As directed by Credit Union Bylaws (Article V, Section 1), “it is the duty of the Nominating Committee to nominate at least one member for each vacancy, including any unexpired term vacancy for which elections are being held” in writing by Monday, November 1, 2016. The submission must be accompanied by a biography (less than 75 words) and a certificate stating the candidate is agreeable to the nomination and will serve if elected.
All candidates who wish to run for office must be a member in good standing with the Credit Union. Interested and qualified members may obtain a candidate/petition packet from the Corporate Office at 622 Azalea Road, Mobile, AL 36609.
In addition to candidates nominated by the Nominating Committee, members may be nominated by petition. The petition must nominate a member and must be signed by 1% of the NHCU membership (which would be approximately 400 members). All signed petitions must be received by the Secretary of the Board prior to Thursday, November 10, 2016, at P.O. Box 2966, Mobile, AL 36652. A letter signed by the candidate certifying a willingness to serve and attend monthly meetings for the term for which the member is being nominated must accompany the petition and include a written description of their qualifications.
Should there be no contest, nominees to the New Horizons Credit Union Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee will be elected by acclamation at the Credit Union’s Annual Meeting on April 28, 2017.
Election & Annual Meeting Schedule
- November 1, 2016 – Deadline for candidate name submission by the Nominating Committee
- November 10, 2016 – Deadline for filing nominations by official petition with the Secretary of the Credit Union
- December 9, 2016 – Secretary of the Credit Union posts all nominees’ names
- January 13, 2017 – Ballots mailed, if necessary, to members eligible to vote
- February 10, 2017 – Deadline for ballot submission, if necessary.
- April 28, 2017 - Annual Meeting at University of South Alabama Student Center 7pm