Horizons Helping Hands New Horizons Credit Union believes in giving back to the community and living the credit union industry philosophy of "People Helping People." For this reason, we have named our community efforts - Horizons Helping Hands. New Horizons continues to assist with sponsorships and donations, and we also realize the importance of putting some skin in the game and volunteering!
During 2018, New Horizons Credit Union is committed to helping Jensen's Heart of Gold Foundation as our Corporate Charity. However, we also support many other worthwhile community endeavors such as:
Hi-Q Academic Competition
Since 1986, New Horizons has been a proud sponsor of Hi-Q, the oldest continuing academic competition in the U.S. Hi-Q is vital to a quality education, as it encourages academic achievement, initiative and good sportsmanship. Bob Grip, from FOX10, presides as the Quiz Master, asking students questions from 13 subjects, ranging from standard high school courses to general scholastic knowledge. The competition will begin in January and go through March. The first place winner receives $2,000 and a trophy, while second place receives $1,500, and third place receives $1,000.
For over 25 years, New Horizons Credit Union has awarded $1,000 scholarships to local high school seniors seeking to continue higher education. Each year, we award five, $1,000 scholarships to deserving high school seniors. Deadline to apply is typically April of each year. We choose the winners by May of each year, and we encourage all high school seniors to apply. Please check this web page again in December 2018 for the 2019 New Horizons Credit Union Scholarship Application & Information.
Dora Maxwell Award Winner
New Horizons Credit Union has been honored with the League of Southeastern Credit Union's Dora Maxwell Award for exhibiting social responsibility in the community. To be recognized, a credit union must show strong examples of fulfilling the credit union philosophy of "People Helping People, " and New Horizons Credit Union clearly demonstrated this with its community activism.
We give back to our communities in a variety of ways. The following are some of the organizations we have been able to and/or continue to support:
- Alabama Education Association
- Alzheimer's Association
- Bank on South Alabama
- Children's Miracle Network
- City of Daphne
- City of Fairhope
- City of Mobile
- City of Mobile Animal Shelter
- Fourth Grade Foresters
- Jackson Alabama Chamber of Commerce
- Jensen's Heart of Gold
- League of Southeastern Credit Unions
- Making Strides against Breast Cancer
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce
- Mobile BayBears Baseball
- Mobile County Public School
- Penelope House
- Pensacola Area USAF 455FTS
- Pensacola Blue Wahoos Baseball
- Pensacola Metro Area Lions Sight Programs Inc.
- Redeemer Lutheran School - Recycle Drive
- Ronald McDonald House
- Semmes Chamber of Commerce & Semmes Azalea Festival
- South Alabama Financial Crimes Task Force
- South Baldwin Chamber
- Southwest Mobile County Chamber of Commerce
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- University of South Alabama
- Woman of Worth Business Empowerment Inc.
- Woody's Song School "Chip in for Autism"
- And more!